Careers that Change Lives
Bring your talents to a leader in medical technology and healthcare solutions.Rooted in our long history of mission-driven innovation, our medical technologiesopen doors.We support your growth with the training, mentorship, and guidance you need to own your future success.Join us for a career that changes lives.
A Day in the Life
Oversee and manage the Bi-Weekly payroll process for 700+ employees across Canada. Maintain and improve the internal control structure over the Bi-Weekly pay process and compliance with all external regulations
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
• Analyzes, audits, reconciles and resolves complex payroll processing and employee payroll issues to ensure smooth payroll processing.
• Ensures payroll reporting and payments are compliant with company policy, generally accepted accounting principles, and applicable regulations.
• Researches and interprets regulatory requirements and resolves tax, withholding, garnishment, and compensation and benefits issues for payroll processing.
• Responds to auditing and regulatory inquiries.
• Creates standard operating procedures, responds to merger and acquisition activities, and monitors monthly journal entry and accurate schedules.
• May respond to and resolve client inquires.
• May work with system programmers to achieve solutions or administer company payroll system with outside service provider.
• Support a payroll function, responsible for all payroll entry, payroll reporting and payroll inquiries, ensuring timely and accurate preparation and processing of Bi-Weekly payroll for employees across Canada, including new hires, terminations, overtime, etc.
• Assists with the development, documentation and communication of business rules and payroll practice and procedures.
• Work with payroll provider to ensure compliance with all relevant legislative requirements (provincial, federal and non-resident regulations).
• Respond to employee inquiries and requests regarding payroll matters.
• Work with the Payroll team on all communication related to payroll – timelines, RRSP contributions, T4s, etc.
• Prepare payroll journal entries for compensation GL accounts.
• Administer and reconcile group benefit programs such as ESPP, Group RRSP, stock option/bonus/loan programs and others;
• Ensure timely and accurate processing of government remittances to avoid costly penalties.
• Support the year end process i.e. T4/T4A/ Releve I including relevant government fillings.
• Assist with modification and ongoing maintenance of Payroll system to improve administration efficiency.
• Oversee and process all expatriate, payroll operations, including taxes, specifically tax estimations (Gross-up and True-up).
• Application of Employment Standards legislative requirements.
• Assist and coordinate Payroll Supervisor external audits (CRA, EHT & Revenue QC & WCB).
• Special projects as assigned.
QualificationsMust Have: Minimum Requirements
• ABachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 year of relevant experience is required.
• Professional designation (CPM, PCP, CGA or a CMA) is required.
• Thorough knowledge of payroll regulations in various provinces across Canada.
• Knowledge of General Accounting practices and procedures.
• Ability to prepare and analyze reports.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and management.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to research complex issues and develop recommended actions.
• Ability to work independently with a “can do” attitude combined with ability to multi-task and manage priorities.
• Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Understanding and ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Strong work ethic with a demonstrated sense of urgency.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments in the organization, particularly Finance and Human Resources.
• Experience in SAP, Workday, Kronos, ADP, Ceridian, CloudPay.
Nice to Have
• Advanced degreein a human resource or business-related field.
• 3 years of experience processing full payroll cycle.
• Advanced Microsoft Office (Excel).
• Ability to speak French is an asset.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We can accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Medtronic Canada strives through our vision to build a culture of inclusiveness through our commitment to employment equity and diversity. Discrimination is prohibited on any grounds protected under Canadian Human Rights legislation. Employment applications are encouraged from all members of our community. Upon request, candidates with disabilities will be accommodated during the recruitment process.
Physical Job Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.Extended hours are required to meet close and reporting deadlines.
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.